Become a United Way KW Volunteer
A large part of United Way KW’s strength is our volunteers – the generous members of our community who give their time to help make a difference. Without them, fewer miracles would happen in our community. Volunteers work with us in a diverse range of projects and roles.
Volunteers work with us on numerous ongoing committees to monitor community needs, review programs and initiatives, support fundraising efforts, and find long-term solutions to community issues:
- Board of Directors –provides vision, strategic leadership, advocacy, accountability and stewardship. Within the Board, there are also several smaller stand-alone volunteer groups including our Finance and Audit, Human Resources and Governance committees.
- Community Impact Council – helps guide the annual disbursement of funds and the activities of United Way KW within the community.
- Community Relations Team - serve as a link between United Way KW and funded programs, partners and community members.
- Workplace Campaign Cabinet – guides and facilitates our annual workplace campaign.
Finance and Audit Committee - Call For Applications
In connection with the selection of members to the Finance & Audit Committee of United Way Kitchener-Waterloo and Area, a call is hereby made for applications to fill positions on the committee.
United Way KW is seeking individuals with expertise in auditing, finance/accounting, risk management, investments and/or not-for-profit. For more details on the position, click here. Click here to fill out our Finance and Audit Committee application form.
Seeking Impact Speakers
Has United Way KW or a United Way KW supported agency made a difference in your life? Do you have a story that highlights the need for services and programs in our community? If so, we'd like to hear from you! United Way KW is currently seeking volunteers to act as Impact Speakers during our workplace campaign and throughout the year. To learn more, please check out the Impact Speakers Posting and click here to apply.
Volunteer for Special Events
Ensure the success of our special events by lending a hand with preparations or helping out at the event itself. We'd love to hear from you! United Way KW is always seeking eager event volunteers to help out. To learn more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Community Impact Council works to create a community change agenda informed by our community priorities, and the common aspiration that binds them together and that they cumulatively attain. The Council is composed of members of business, labour, health, social services, government, and community members at large, as well as that of the Priority Impact Teams. Based on the community change agenda and within the parameters for investment identified by the Board of Directors, the Community Impact Council guides investment to achieve high-level outcomes in relation to the identified community priorities, and further, identifies and addresses common issues and factors that cut across the priorities. Please note, this is a year-round commitment and we ask volunteers to consider a two-year term.
Volunteer activities include:
Providing input, advice and guidance to the development of:
- a community change agenda to guide United Way investments and activity
- desireable general outcomes for each focus area and across focus areas
- desireable ranges of emphasis for each type of investment (collaborative initiatives, capacity building, prevention, support programs and services) for each focus area
- total investments ($) within target ranges for each priority
If you are interested in joining the Community Impact Council or would like more information, please contact email@example.com.
The Community Relations Team will serve as a link between United Way KW and funded programs, partners and community members. Volunteers will maintain and enhance communications with community partners, as well as increase United Way KW’s presence in the community.
Volunteers experienced with United Way KW’s community investments and impact model would be an asset. Knowledge and skills in community issues and local social service agencies is preferred.
Volunteer activities include:
- Duties shall include attending, participating and reporting on community events.
- Attendance at United Way KW, partner agency and community special events will be based on volunteer availability and United Way KW priorities.
- Event appearances will average 1-2 hours in duration, but may vary based on need.
- Meetings will occur every two months or on an as needed basis. Meetings do not usually occur in July and August.
- Volunteers will be trained on United Way KW’s 3 Focus Areas and associated outcomes, investments and issues affecting our community.
If you are interested in having your name kept on file, please download and complete our Volunteer Interest Form. Forms will be kept on file for 6 months.
If you are interested in any of the above volunteer opportunities or would like more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about volunteer opportunities available in the community, please visit the Volunteer Action Centre website.